The New York Philharmonic has been privileged to have Esa-Pekka Salonen as their Marie-Josée Kravis Composer-in-Residence. Now for a performance in late April, the composer/conductor will be giving the U.S. premiere of a concerto for four horns written by Tansy Davies.
Ms. Davies, a horn player turned composer, was initially contacted by Salonen, also a former horn player, to write a composition featuring his favorite instrument. The result is a work called Forests, which uses aspects of nature to convey her artistic message. In addition to the New York Philharmonic, this composition was co-commisioned with the Philharmonia Orchestra and the Warsaw Autumn Festival.
Originally planned to be performed by members of the New York horn section, the three performances will now feature both past and present members of the Philharmonia horn section. The featured artists include:
- Richard Watkins – former Principal Horn, Philharmonia Orchestra
- Katy Wolley – current Principal Horn, Philharmonia Orchestra
- Nigel Black – current Principal Horn, Philharmonia Orchestra
- Michael Thompson – former Principal Horn, Philharmonia
The performances will be April 27-29. Other works on the program include:
- Stravinsky – Funeral Song
- R. Strauss – Also Sprach Zarathustra